Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How I Turned Unemployment Into a Life Rewarding, Life Changing Event

--Medicare In Ohio of How I Turned Unemployment Into a Life Rewarding, Life Changing Event--
Advertisements

How I Turned Unemployment Into a Life Rewarding, Life Changing Event

Many of us feel life changing events. My was twofold: unemployment and my father incurring a life ending illness. Either of these situations could be devastating and down trodden. Yet somehow, with the grace of God, I was able to merge these events into a life changing rewarding event. My father's illness has had a primary impact on my life while unemployed. But I lived, easily lived! And while my trek is not over, here's how I got where I am today.

How I Turned Unemployment Into a Life Rewarding, Life Changing Event

"Have you seen the Planter's Peanut Man recently in downtown Springfield?" This is one of the last things my father asked me when he was passing from consciousness to a comatose state just three days before his death. I told I had not, and neither had he since the 1940's when he lived and attended high school in Springfield, Ohio. Though I had to tell him no, I notion about the quiz, oftentimes after his death. And today I often see the Planter's Peanut Man in my dreams and meditations. I only hope now that my Father, God bless his soul in heaven, sees him too.

When my father died a few short months ago, I felt a closeness to him I had not experienced anytime while my entire life. His illness was the impetuous for me to change. Today, I am a much more caring, empathetic, wiser, mature and blessed individual. Upon graduation from Law School in 1981, I left my home town. Ultimately, I resided over 500 miles from my parents. While we communicated ordinarily and saw each other occasionally (a merge of times a year at least), it was like the lyrics from the Harry Chapin song the Cat's in the Cradle, I'd love to Dad if I could find the time/You see my new job's a hassle and the kids have the flu/But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad.

My father's pathology was received at about the same time I became unemployed. We found out my father had Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Als or Lou Gehrig's disease as it is more ordinarily known) about 2 weeks before I left the workforce. Als is an untreatable, incurable disease that progressively worsens until death. As the muscles died, we knew that my father would ultimately lose operate and use of most of the muscles in his body and if he survived, ultimately become bedridden.

After the first shock of the diagnosis, the knowledge of his disease and the progression it would take, brought many hours of soul searching for me. From the start, my father expressed the desire to die at home. Further, my parents did not have sufficient guarnatee for a nursing home (Medicare does not cover nursing home care for terminally ill patients). Further, my family did not have their own financial resources to contribute such care.

With this all in mind, I made a decision to take time away from my work and to serve, along with my mother, as my father's original caretaker. Since I lived over 550 miles from my parents and I did not want to move, I decided to divide my time in the middle of Ohio and New Jersey. Thus began the long trek of caring for my father from pathology to death. This is how I lived, easily lived, while my unemployment.

Part of the guess for not relocating back to Ohio was that I had two daughters in school at colleges in New York City. I had to be cognizant of the impact of being unemployed, being away a lot, and being a caretaker would have on them. Ultimately, it became clear the risk was worth it since my daughters saw a "new" Dad and I think liked what they saw. They too are more mature, more empathetic individuals. They values have been enhanced by what we all experienced together.

Day to day it was often difficult. As the disease progressed my Father needed more frequent care. ultimately it turned into round the clock care. My parents' living room became a hospital room. While there was anguish, through it all I felt blessed. Not only blessed because of the occasion to care for my Father, but for the occasion to reconnect with him. And as he wished, he got to die at home with his family surrounding him. I feel so blessed that we could grant him this wish.

Shortly after his passing, I began my trek seeking a new job. Months later, I am still searching. I am experiencing the same frustrations as others in this tough job market. Generally, there are more unemployed job seekers than there are jobs available. The process is evolved since I last sought a job from a by hand one to a extremely technical process. Internet job boards, internet networking, internet job applications, etc., are now standard. Looking a new job is a full time and a part time job combined; hours upon hours are required.

And my situation is often my complicated because I have to illustrate the window of time when I was caring for my Father. Many don't understand or appreciate it. But I stand tall and proud. I tell them it was the hardest work I have ever had. Hard work, yes! But it was very rewarding period in my life and I am a great person because of it. I wouldn't have done it any differently. And I will get a job eventually, and I believe I will be a great laborer as a succeed of my living as I did while my unemployment period. I perceive this each time I see the Planter's Peanut Man.

share the Facebook Twitter Like Tweet. Can you share How I Turned Unemployment Into a Life Rewarding, Life Changing Event.


No comments:

Post a Comment